Monday, May 12, 2008

At home in the mountains




"In his hand are the depths of the earth, and the mountain peaks belong to him."
Psalm 95:4
Oh how I love the mountains! It is a love that is hard for me to explain. There is a feeling I get when I am in the mountains that is indescribable. It is like they call out my name and I feel drawn to them. When I go I feel at home and at peace. I am not sure why I have such a love for the mountains, but it started long ago. I wonder if it is, because I came to know Christ as my personal savior and closest friend in the beautiful mountains of North Carolina or if it is, because my parents would take me to the North Georgia mountains each Fall to get apples, pan for gold, or go to a festival. Some of my life's most fondest and amazing memories were shared in the mountains. I remember going to Europe in high school and falling in love with the mountains of Switzerland and Austria. I had never seen mountains so massive and gorgeous. They were absolutely amazing to me and I remember thinking...I could live here! Even though I was thousands of miles away from my true home, I felt at home there, because I was in the mountains. In 2005 Nick and I went to Montana for our 5 year anniversary trip. We had heard about Glacier National Park and how beautiful it was and decided that was where we needed to go for our anniversary. I knew before we went that I would love it, because of course it is in the mountains. However, I had no idea how amazing it would truly be. If you ever have a chance to go to Glacier National Park you must go. It is breath taking. Nick and I fell in love with it and are determined to one day live in Montana. It was such a special trip for us, because we got to hike all throughout the park experiencing God's beautiful creation together. I can't explain the feeling that I had while I was there - I felt it calling my name. I felt like I had come home. I think for me the mountains are a true vision of God's glory, power, and beauty. When I see them I feel His presence overwhelm me and have a stronger understanding of His great love for me.

"Then Jesus went up on a mountainside and sat down with his disciples." John 6:3

1 comment:

Ginger said...

LOVE your blog, Merri! I know what you mean about the mountains. I feel the same way. When we first moved here, I would almost wreck my car every day looking at the mountains instead of the road! I still pray that I'll never get used to seeing them.